A tour not made for everyone
This off-road trip will lead you to the most off beaten paths of the Kyrgyz Republic. From abandoned uranium mines and ghost towns over soviet monuments on 3K mountain passes to tough Kok Boru games. This is rural Kyrgyzstan!
Tour dates: ON REQUEST 2021
- Day 1: Arrival in Bishkek, have a rest.
- Day 2: Bishkek, brutalism architecture and soviet monuments
- Day 3: Tokmok, Burana minaret; Ak-Tuz: uranium mine; Cholpon-Ata: Rukh Ordo
- Day 4: Drive to Karakol
- Day 5: Day trip to Engilchek ghost city
- Day 6. Drive to Alaam Ordo, Naryn
- Day 7: Baetov, Mels-Ashu Pass, Tailak’s Gumbez mausoleum
- Day 8: Song Kol Lake, yurt stay
- Day 9: Drive to Kochkor, Kok Boru
- Day 10: Bishkek, Osh bazaar
- Day 11: Departure day
- English speaking guide
- Experienced off-road driver(s)
- Basic hotels, homestays and yurts
- Self-driving option for groups over 4 people. Off-road vehicle, manual gearbox.
- Airport pickup and drop off.
- You can book me to come with you to support you in your personal photo or film projects. And you have someone to talk in Swiss German 🙂
Good to Know
- Over 80% of the Kyrgyz population are muslim.
- Even during Covid times, you will shake hands with lots of people, especially as a man. Carry a disinfection spray. We will try to avoid crowded places whenever possible.
- There won’t be fancy restaurants everywhere, be OK with simple food on the road.
- Being off-road means bumpy long rides in old cars, enjoy it 🙂
- Changes in the itinerary are common. Events like Kok Boru games take place from October to March, it will be rarely seen in other months. However a game can be organised at any time for small groups. Also Covid numbers, political events, weather and permits can have an impact on your tour. Accept that our safety has highest priority.
Small groups from 5 to 10 people work best for such tours, bring some friends with you. We can customise the route and duration of the trip to whatever suits you best. If you are a single person, we can also arrange private trips – no problem! Just write me an email and I will get in touch with you.